BRITANNIA AT THE BEACH BEESANDS
This building project involved the demolition of the 1940’s ‘Shack’ originally built as a fuel station and store for the local fisherman, this allowed the removal of underground contaminants and former petrol tanks.
The new building has been constructed with the Architects clear concept that it must be ‘new’, yet maintain the character and ambience that evolved from the existing ad-hoc arrangement and the important seaside setting. The design concept from the outset has been to work with a notion of new beach huts in appearance. The main building houses a restaurant area, two well ventilated kitchen spaces, and a customer toilet. It maximises the space available within the tight boundaries of the site. Materials were a key part to the project with a sympathetic design which used locally distinctive, yet durable materials due to its proximity to the sea.